Today we talk about one of our most favorite places in the world, DISNEYLAND! And, unlike Episode 33 Disneyline, we spend most of this show talking about our favorite memories growing up with Disneyland over the last, ahemmmmmmmph, 50 years, the attractions from opening day which are still in use today (aside from Covid-closure), Disney parks trivia, the new level of entry-checks for Downtown Disney, and celebrities who have worked at Disneyland.
We also talk about one of the most famous castmembers who isn’t a movie star: Maynard. If you haven’t met him yet, and you will be visiting Disneyland in the future, just ask if Maynard is working as you pass through the turnstiles. If the castmember doesn’t know, then you’ll have to check The Tiki Room or The Haunted Mansion and keep your fingers crossed and your camera ready! He is so beloved, his fans have created a Facebook page called Fans of Maynard, The Amazing Disneyland Castmember.
Following are links to the many articles we referenced as well as additional information about questions raised during our conversation. And here is the point we need to officially acknowledge, we had technical difficulties with the phone-in recording so the sound quality is not up to our usual standards.
- Disney Plus Lineup. For the list of what’s on Disney Plus, which was updated August 14, check Disney Plus Shows and Movies.
- Disney Merchandise. Check out their official merchandise at Shop Disney. Good luck getting that 65th Anniversary merch. Sniff.
- Micechat.com. Check here for the Downtown Disney reopening article 65th Anniversary Tragic Celebration. Subsequent posts on the website indicate crowd levels have lowered quite nicely.
- Fresh Baked! Here is the link to the Fresh Baked YouTube video celebrating Disney’s 65th anniversary.
- Daps Magic. And here is the link to the Daps Magic YouTube fan celebration of the Disney anniversary.
- Rocket to Where? The Rocket to the Moon ride later turned into Mission From Mars. Thaaaaaaat’s right. NOWWWW we remember. Still boring, sorry not sorry.
- People Mover and SKYWAY. Of all the rides no longer around, the People Mover and Skyway are two thumbs up from both Kym and Kris for making a comeback. And, by the way, it’s NOT called Sky Tram. It’s ok Kris. You were so close.
- Original Opening Day Attractions. Here’s the Orange County Register article written by Mark Eades from July 16, 2015, Disneyland Opening Day: These Were the Rides and Exhibits in 1955.
- Sick Soaps! Do yourself a favor and visit this Etsy store, Sick Soaps. The Dole Whip pack aroma will take you right back to that line outside the Tiki Room…and is that Hat Box ghost not just the very best?!?! The Jack Skellington bar smells wonderfully like pumpkin spice. There’s other themes (OHMIGAWD THE VOLDEMORT SOAP!) to choose from, AND she makes face masks. You know where you’re shopping for Christmas now, don’t you!?
- SWEET TRIVIA! We data-mined Popsugar.com and while we didn’t reference ALL their trivia, we sure used a lot of it. If you’re a fan of all things Disney, Popsugar.com is your holy grail of information. Knock yourself out. But definitely check out both of the articles we referenced and then have fun chasing Alice down the trivia rabbit hole: 41 Insane Facts You Definitely Didn’t Know About Disneyland, by Macy Cate Williams from February 11, 2020 and 55 International Disney Park Differences Only Hardcore Fans Will Notice by Brinton Parker from March 9, 2020.
- NO SMOKING ANYWHERE. Nope. Not even in those teeny tiny spots found in the far corners of the park back in the day. There’s no smoking in the park, between the parks, or Downtown Disney, according to this page on the Disney website.
- Doctor Jones I Presume. For that AMAZING article about the Indiana Jones ride easter eggs, check out this D23 article.
- Eeyore Parking Only. For the “hidden Eeyore” in the Indiana Jones ride, check this out. Obviously Kris has not been looking in the right corner.
- Mystic Manor. For a YouTube virtual ride, watch this video for the awesome Hong Kong Disney Mystic Manor.
- Sweet Dreams! If you’re lucky on your visit to Walt Disney World in Florida…you might just get to sleep in the luxury suite of the Cinderella castle.
- Disneyland’s Who’s Who. Here is the Ranker.com list of celebrities who used to work for Disneyland parks.
Check out The Mugly Truth Podcast’s episode “Disney 101″ on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Overcast, Libsyn, Pocket Cast, Stitcher, iHeartRadio, or (almost) anywhere you listen to podcasts. Then all you need to do is 1) subscribe 2) download and 3) listen! AND!!! 4) If you enjoy what you hear, please leave a rating and a review (pretty please?). The more subscribers and reviews we get, the more opportunities we get to grow this podcast!
Don’t forget to follow us here at themuglytruth.com (click that blue WordPress Follow button on the right side of your screen) so you get notifications every time we post an episode blog! You can also follow The Mugly Truth on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. Please also follow Kym on Tiktok at kymtok.
© The Mugly Truth 2020 and © The Mugly Truth Podcast 2020. All rights reserved.
Intro and outro music, “Clever as a Fox” by Espresso, Inc. through premiumbeats.com.
Featured photo Mickey Mouse Ice Cream by Liza Lova on Pexels.com