Labor Door Pains. What a weird title. But there’s a reason. You see, it was originally going to be called “Labor Day Pains” as a poke at all you poor lot getting over your hangovers from the long Labor Day holiday here in America. But then we started recording, and, well, you’ll hear just exactly WHY we renamed this episode Labor Door Pains instead. All we can say is, “UGH teenagers…we love ’em to death but…amirite?!”
Anyhoo, the door clicks only last a short bit…just…muscle right on through them…like we did. Also know this. After we talked about the lady with the brown recluse spider in her ear (NOPE. NO LINKS. NONE. Google it yourself. We tried to do it for you but of course all the links have horrible photos and videos of spiders so you’re on your own pal) and the PB4WEGO license plate lady (from New Hampshire…ahahahaaahahhaaa Kris had it right!), we actually got down to the topic at hand: Labor Day.
Ok calm yourself. It’s difficult we know. Shuffle right on through the celebratory confetti and balloons and keep reading.
In good Mugly Truth fashion, we talk about the details of an event after it occurs. So. As you know if you live in the United States, we are just coming off a very hot, long weekend culminating in a Monday off from work (for most of the working population but definitely not all). If you’re like us, you’ll not know much about why most people get to celebrate this every year, but you’ll have heard your grandma couldn’t wear white after Labor Day. We talk about the riotous beginnings of Labor Day gatherings (think protests and brawling vs. barbecues and parades) some interesting facts related to Labor Day, and a smattering of fun events around the country. If you just Netflixed and chilled for three days, we are here to prepare you for LDW2020 (Labor Day Weekend 2020). From munchie fulfillment at the Taste of Colorado, to sand castles in Sand iego (that’s not a typo), jazz in Chicago, and throwing beads in New Orleans, not to mention the Orange International Street Fair (with the amazing American Wake band) right here in our hometown – there is a LOT you can plan for if you decide beer and barbecued brats with your buddies is so 2019. For links to the articles we cited:
- History of Labor Day: 7 Surprising Labor Day Facts at townandcountrymag.com
- Have We Forgotten the True Meaning of Labor Day at theconversation.com
- 9 of the Best US Labor Day Events for 2019 at CNNtravel.com
- Labor law highlights, 1915–2015 in Monthly Labor Review at Bureau of Labor Statistics
And because we know you’re dying for even more links, here you go:
- Do people who work on Labor Day get time-and-a-half?
- Aebelskivers and Solvang
- Everything you wanted to know about The Taste of Colorado
- Why yes you can buy a King Cake with a tiny baby in it!! Randazzo Bakery of New Orleans is STILL IN BUSINESS! WOOHOO! Kym…are you reading?
- And here’s the King Cake UK counterpart (Christmas Pudding) with all kinds of symbolic trinkets dropped in the batter.
- How’s Detroit doing these days? On the mend, we think. Oh and how about that gorgeous architecture in the Motor City?
- And that Temecula Valley Wine and Balloon Festival which has nothing to do with Labor Day? Here you go.
Check out our “Labor Door Pains” episode on iTunes/Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Overcast, Libsyn, Pocket Cast, Stitcher or anywhere you listen to podcasts. Then all you need to do is 1) subscribe 2) download and 3) listen! AND!!! 4) If you enjoy what you hear, please leave a rating and a review (pretty please?). The more subscribers and reviews we get, the more opportunities we get to grow this podcast and bring you richer content.
And don’t forget to follow us here at themuglytruth.com (click that blue WordPress Follow button on the right side of your screen) so you get notifications every time we post an episode blog! You can also follow The Mugly Truth on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.